The SAA Practitioner’s Course
November 11, 2021 – 18:00 – 19:30 GMT (UK time)
This online event is hosted by CIArb, taking place on 11 November 2021 at 6.00pm UK time, please check your local time zone.
The Alexander Lecture 2021 will be delivered live by Wendy Miles QC FCIArb, Twenty Essex, from COP26 (UN Climate Change Conference UK 2021). The lecture will focus on ADR, sustainability and climate change and is entitled International Arbitration and Sustainable Investment: Facilitator or Foe?
Can international arbitration rise to the challenge of climate change?
Wendy Miles QC explores how international arbitration can play its part in global action to mitigate and adapt to climate change. She will explore:
- The role that international arbitration can play in facilitating the global, systemic transition to net zero.
- How international arbitration can be a catalyst for unlocking the $70 trillion of capital investment required to achieve net zero.
- The need for arbitrators and counsel to understand how sustainable investments can be made viable prospects for institutions.
- The role of professional bodies like CIArb in equipping arbitration practitioners with the knowledge they need to handle climate-related disputes.
- Whether international arbitration needs to adapt if it is to be a true facilitator of the net-zero transition.
- Whether or not it’s time to rethink damages modelling in transition projects or investment.