Bilingual Legal Counsel
Bilingual Legal Counsel, Geneva Office (100%)
Are you passionate about arbitration? Are you curious to look behind the scenes and shape institutional decisions? Are you bilingual in German and English? Do you like being part of a small and dynamic international team? Are you reliable and detail-focused?
The Swiss Arbitration Centre is Switzerland’s leading commercial arbitration institution with offices in Geneva and Zurich. The case management team administers around 150 cases under the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration, the Swiss Rules of Mediation, as well as the Rules of Mediation Procedure for Financial Services. The cases are administered in English, French, German, and Italian.
The Centre is affiliated to the Swiss Arbitration Association (Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage, ASA), an association seated in Geneva, with around 1’000 members in Switzerland and abroad. For 50 years, ASA has been promoting domestic and international arbitration as well as alternative dispute resolution.
Arbitration and alternative dispute resolution offer an international and challenging work environment, requiring high professionalism, versatility, and flexibility.
The Centre is looking for a motivated Legal Counsel in its centrally located Geneva office. In this role, you will have the following responsibilities:
- You will administer arbitration and mediation cases under the Swiss Rules in English and French, together with an Assistant, under the supervision of the Executive Director
- You will analyse legal issues, prepare decisions, and liaise with the Arbitration Court and the Advisory Council for Mediation
- You will monitor the financial aspect of the arbitration and mediation cases
- You will be an essential point of contact for arbitrators, mediators, and parties regarding all types of procedural matters
- You will draft notes, articles, and news for publication
- You will represent the Swiss Arbitration Centre at conferences and events, as well as present the Centre to international delegations, Moot Courts, and training institutions
- You will be part of an international team promoting Swiss Arbitration and the Swiss Rules in Switzerland and abroad
The position reports to the Executive Director.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- You have a law degree from Switzerland or abroad and are admitted to practice law in your home jurisdiction
- You have gained professional experience (preferably some foreign experience) in the field of arbitration and/or mediation
- You have outstanding analytical as well as drafting skills and understand complex cases
- You are a French native speaker and have excellent oral and writing skills in English; knowledge of Italian or German is an asset
- You are a self-starter: You are able to take initiative and stay on task
- You work efficiently, meticulously and well-structured, with an eye for detail
- You are pragmatic and well organised, able to work under pressure and can set priorities; you act independently, but at the same time in a team and seek help when needed
- You are service-oriented, courteous and polite, with excellent communication skills
- You enjoy representative functions in an international context and are excited about standing out in public
- You are legally entitled to work in Switzerland or eligible to a work permit
Please submit your application (CV, cover letter explaining your experience and motivation in English and certificates/references, availability, salary expectation, as well as work permit status) on or before 1 March 2024 by e-mail to email@example.com.
Early applications are encouraged. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for interview.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please do not hesitate to contact the Executive Director by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (+41 22 310 74 29). You may find answers to your questions also here: www.swissarbitration.org.Apply Now